Monday 9 April 2012

Interview with Daisuke Amaya!

HUZZAH!

Daisuke 'Pixel' Amaya, creator of Cave Story, was kind enough to let me interview him (via Email!).
yaaaaaaay!!!! :D


Note : Interview was in Japanese, and the answers have been altered to make them flow better. These are not Pixel's exact words.


First of all, I’d just like to thank you for taking the time to do this!


You’re welcome, I’m sorry for the late reply


 I am very excited for the upcoming European release of Cave Story DSi. Was it challenging to put Cave Story on the DSi?


Thank you. Cave story DSi was mostly made by Nicalis. I hope European people will enjoy it too, I am glad you are excited.

Being so used to being an independent designer, was it hard to explain your ideas to others when working with NiCALIS?

There was difficulty, especially the language barrier, but that’s what I expected. 
 The biggest advantage we had was that we were all human, there are more ways to convey what I mean than words.

What was your inspiration for Balrog? Toaster, lunchbox or bar of soap?
Originally soap.
I was going to make a common enemy with hands, feet and wings, like a small propeller soap. Balrog was their boss. That was the first Balrog.

Do you remember what the first video game you ever played was?

I think it was Mario Bros and Xevious.

What is the deeper meaning of Jil Jil?

There is nothing.
I say from the sense of language and association Jil Jil is nothing, but I don’t know what you associate Jil Jil with overseas.

Are you going to remake Ikachan for DS?

Yes

Yay! :D
Last question, do you like ice cream?

It is delicious on hot summer days. I don’t like it much, but I will eat it occasionally.


Thank you, Pixel!!!
^_^



1 comment: